Access to Medical Records
For routine audit purposes, representatives of the West Sussex Primary Care Trust will be required to look at Patients’ medical records. The auditors may not be medically qualified but are all bound by their contract of employment to respect confidentiality. However, if you do not wish your notes to be used in this way please inform us at the front desk and your notes will be annotated accordingly.
Insurance Companies and Solicitors will ask for access to your medical records in certain circumstances e.g. mortgage application and accidents. We will only release this information if we have your signed authority to do so.
Patients may, subject to current legislation, have copies of and access to their medical records and letters. A fee may be charged for this
Freedom of Information Act 2000
Cowfold Medical Group will make the available upon request providing the terms of the Data Protection Act are complied with
- General Practitioner Reports.
- Copies of Medical Records
- Specific targeted health reports with the patient’s signed consent.
- Information regarding health issues to the DWP
- Information regarding health issues to the DVLA
All of the above need the signed consent of the patient before being released and may attract a fee.
- Patients may request information held about themselves
Violent or Abusive Patients
We all have our bad days, and when we feel ill we may feel down and a little more irritable than is normal. All our staff are here to help you. Reception staff are following procedures that help the practice to function efficiently.
Staff have the right to work in a safe and secure environment and we as employers have the legal responsibility to provide that safe and secure environment.
The practice will not tolerate:
- verbal abuse to staff which prevents them from doing their job or makes them feel unsafe
- threats of violence or actual violence to a GP or a member of his or her staff
The GPs have the right to remove with immediate effect any patient who behaves in the above manner.